History: Originally built in 1916, with more construction completed in 1923 and 1929, this Alexander Eschweiler designed building is French revival style with Moorish turrets that crown the building’s main structure. First built as an eight-story building, in 1923 eight additional floors were added, then with three more floors as well as the crown added in 1929.
Scope: The historic Wisconsin Bell building was originally believed to be a one-year brick and terra cotta replacement project, but further inquiry called for complete structural rehabilitation.
Challenge: Accessing work area over hollow sidewalks and rear roadway that could not be closed to traffic. Removing and replacing large amounts of masonry (brick, terra cotta, stone) to access structural steel members for replacement and repair.
Result: Complete steel and masonry restoration and installation of integral flashing and weep systems. Design and installation of mast scaffold system to access work areas.