The Victor Lawson Tower at the Chicago Theological Seminary
History: Built in 1923, this Henry Riddle designed neo-Gothic tower is a compromise of religious and educational design theory. The 180-foot tall carillon tower has a four-sided main structure topped with octagon-shaped forty-foot tall lantern structure, which features gargoyles, stone tracery windows and pinnacles.
Scope: Repair of structural slab at lantern base. Design and installation of new structural steel roof support system. Installation of heavy-duty stainless steel anchorage for architectural stone elements.
Challenge: Stabilizing unsound concrete slab ninety-feet over occupied space. Construction of roof support system in field.
Result: Structurally sound restored tower that is stronger than original design.