History: Today known as the Ivory Tusk building, Graham, Anderson, Probst & White originally designed the building in 1924 for Gimbel’s Department Store. The former Marshall Field’s building is located in downtown Milwaukee on the River and was one of the city’s premier department stores for 100 years. This neo-classical designed building covers one-city block and features a large ionic colonnade and also includes a combination of five different structures built in the early 1900s, with the oldest dating back to 1890.
Scope: To clean the white-glazed terra cotta veneer.
Challenge: To clean the heavily-carbonated stained building over a waterway.
Result: A successful cleaning of the terra cotta using biologically-friendly material that was collected and disposed following safe environmental standards.